Monday, March 2, 2009

Call your congressmen!

This was a lesson that I had the chance to watch. It might sound familiar because Zach used this idea in his classroom. My cooperating teacher called Oregon senator Jeff Merkley and we spoke to one of his assistants over the speaker phone. The purpose of this was to show the students how easy it is to voice their opinion and concerns to their senators. We asked how he voted on the Stimulus Bill and when he would be in E. Oregon next. It was a great lesson and something that I would suggest to any Social Studies teacher that is covering the goverment.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting lesson to be apart of. I bet the students enjoyed being able to hear the voice of someone who ranks so high in our state government.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. One question: Did you have to tell the person on the other end of the line that they were on speaker phone and being listend to by students?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is such a fun idea. I'm going to try it in my own classroom. Did you come up with questions to ask as a class?

    ReplyDelete